Thursday, February 23, 2012

It's been too long

Wow, I can't believe it's been so long since I've updated my blog. Such a busy summer/fall/winter. I am ready to get back into this so I will start by telling what I have been working on currently. I am back into my vegetable garden. Mike and I installed raised beds last year and put fresh compost in them and proceeded to kill everything that didn't die from the drought. I was determined and convinced that the compost was too hot and would be just right for a fall garden and I was right. I have grown broccoli, cauliflower, collards, enough beets to can 16 pints, cabbage, green onions, spinach, and a whole bed of lettuce varieties. With the mild winter, I was able to play in the garden all winter.

I am so excited about my spring garden. I planted potatoes on ground hog day. They started popping through today. I have two tomato plants that I planted a couple of weeks ago. Yesterday the patio tomato had blooms forming.....so exciting. I planted more spinach today, I think it will grow off before it gets too hot.

I planted a bunch of tomato and pepper seeds and am trying to get them sturdy enough for transplanting. I said I would never do this again, but I am. I bought a grow light for them this week.

Mike went to Home Depot this week and couldn't pass up the grape vines, so now we are building a fence and putting in a grape and berry orchard. We also planted 2 peach trees, 2 satsuma oranges, and a fig tree. I also found some asparagus roots that I am going to try out. That is a long term project as it takes 2 years to get the goods.

No comments:

Post a Comment